area, known as Morphou, is located in the northwestern part of Cyprus. It is one of the most richest and fertile areas of Cyprus. The valley of Morphou was developed quickly, due to its fertility and abundance of underground waters.
Before the Turkish invasion, Morphou had a population of 9,000 inhabitants. The first Greek High School was founded in 1917. During the school year, 1969-70, the main high school divided, creating School A and B, both being coed. There also existed an Economics and Agricultural school, and in the neighboring town of Xero, a Technical school. A teacher's College existed until 1959, and was the predecessor of the modern day Teacher's Academy.
There were many important intellectual institutions and athletic organizations. In 1931, the association "Digenis Akritas Morphou" was founded. They unfolded a complex program, such as: developing choral departments, the creation of philharmonic and mandolin bands, theater troupes, also, they organized lectures and exhibitions which corresponded with athletic activities and events. The soccer team, "Digenis Akritas Morphou", climbed to the first division and represented Cyprus in the OYEFA cup. "Athletic Union Morphou" AEM, also took part in the athletic and political life of Morphou.
The top pick of the festivities was the annual Orange Festival with marching floats, decorated with oranges. This agricultural exhibition of Morphou attracted many visitors throughout Cyprus.
During the Middle Ages, sugar cane and cotton was cultivated. Later, the inhabitants planted vegetables, legumes, grains, taro and sesame. Ultimately, there was a productive increase in the cultivation of citrus, especially oranges and grapefruit. Fifty one percent of Cyprus citrus fruit was grown during 1974 in Morphou and the surrounding villages of Zodia, Argaki, Katokopia, Prasteo, Sirianochoroi, Nikita, Karavostasi, Kira, and Kapouti.
SODEM (Cooperative Organization Disposal Citrus Morphou) was founded by the inhabitants of Morphou, which ultimately fought for the promotion of Cyprus citrus fruits in foreign markets. It also developed a modern plant that canned, and produced juices.
The town was divided into three parishes, St Mama's St George's, and St. Paraskevi's. In St. Mama's parish, the most important building was the monastery with the same name. The church of St. Mama's is one of the most important Franco-Byzantine orders in Cyprus, and dates to the beginning of the 16th century. It was built on the ruins of two old Christian basilicas, and one Byzantine church. Two festivals were celebrated for St. Mama's, one on Sept 2, and the other during the Palm Sunday.
The actual name "Morphou" dates to ancient times, that being in association with the Goddess Aphrodite. This is reinforced by the discoveries made in archaeological finds, northeast of Morphou, that were found to be sacred to the Goddess Aphrodite. During the 1500's the name Morphou was utilized, as well as the name, TheoMorphou. Under English rule, in 1883, the name Morphou was termed a municipality. An important historical feature of Morphou is that originally the town was built by the Lacones or Spartans. These first inhabitants brought with them the worship of Aphrodite, thus naming the town after her beauty, Morphou.
Near the town of, ancient city ruins of Solon were found, which were one of the 10 ancient kingdoms of Cyprus. The archaeological excavations also brought to light and ancient theater, that dates to the Roman period.
Since August 16, 1974 the whole area of Morphou has been occupied by the Turks, and "she" sighs heavily, as do the other areas of Cyprus that are under Turkish occupation. From that year, the clock of time has stopped ... The hour of return has remained in the thoughts and hearts of each refugee, St. Paraskevi, and St. george will welcome its townspeople to take the road home; the road towards our beautiful and unforgettable Morphou.