FLAOUNES (Easter Cheese Cakes)
Makes about 12.
- Yeast dough
- 1 ½ lbs (750gr) strong plain flour,
- 1 sachet easy bake yeast,
- 1 teaspoon salt,
- 2 teaspoons sugar,
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil,
water to mix.
- Cheese filling
- 8oz (250gr) cheddar cheese ot 12oz flaouna cheese if available,
- 4oz (100gr) halloumi,
- 1 tablespoon flour,
- 1 teaspoon baking powder,
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried Mint,
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten.
- To finish
- 1 egg, beaten,
- sesame seeds.
- Sift flour into a large bowl. Stir in the yeast, salt and sugar.
Add the oil and enough water to make a firm dough. Knead for at least
5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Put the dough in a plastic bag and
leave in a warm place for an hour to rise.
- For the filling, coarsely grate the cheeses, add the flour and baking
powder then gradually stir in the beaten egg and seasonings until you
have a stiffish paste ( keep some of the beaten egg back if the
mixture becomes too runny).
- Divide the dough into egg sized pieces and roll these into 4''
- Place a generous tablespoon of filling in the centre of each pastry
disc, spreading it slightly. Pull dough up at 3 points to make a
triangle, or 4 points to make a square. You should stilll be able to
see the filling in the middle.
- Press corners together to seal and leave to rise. Just before baking,
brush with beaten egg and sprinkle some sesame seeds over the finished
- Bake in a hot oven gas 8, 450'C, 230'C for 12-15 minutes until cheese
filling is puffed and flaounes are golden.
- Serve warm or cold.
("The Taste of Cyprus", Gilli Davies)