HERBAL CULINARY OILS
Herbal oils are very useful to have in a kitchen for marinating and flavouring various dishes and salads.
Popular herbs used in culinary oils are thyme, oregano, fennel and rosemary. To make these oils follow the method below:
- Crush the fresh herbs.
- Put 2 tablespoons in a half pint bottle or jar.
- Fill three quarters full with sunflower, vegetable or olive oil.
- Add one tablespoon of wine vinegar.
- Add a few whole peppercorns.
- Tightly seal the container and place in hot sunlight.
- Leave for 2-3 weeks, shaking container regularly.
- Strain the oil after this time squeezing the oil out of the herbs and
- Repeat the process with fresh herbs for another 3 weeks.
- Oil is now ready for use.
- Pour into a clean bottle and decorate with a whole sprig of fresh herbs.