LAMB KOKKINISTO (with tomatoes and wine)
Serves 6-8 persons.
- 1280gr (1 oke) lamb,
- 1/2 glass wine,
- 4-5 sieved tomatoes,
- 1 onion,
- aromatic vegetables (carrots, celery, onions, leeks),
- salt, pepper,
- olive oil.
- Cut the meat into big pieces and put into a deep dish.
- Cover it with a little oil and wine, add the aromatic vegetables, cut
into small pieces, and marinate it in this sauce for 2-3 hours.
- Drain the meat well and saute it in hot oil.
- Drain it well again and put it into a cooking pot with a little broth
- Bring the pot to the fire and leave the meat to cook.
- Add wine, the vegetables, Thyme, tomatoes, a bit of broth.
- Leave to simmer until well done.
- If you want it to have a red colour, add diluted tomato paste.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with potatoes covered in Mint
and boiled vegetables.
("The Cypriots at Table", Marios Mourdjis)