TURKEY AND WALNUT PIE
Serves 4-6 persons.
- 2 tablespoons butter,
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms,
- 1/4 cup plain flour,
- 1 1/4 cups double cream,
- 2/3 cup sour cream,
- 1 tablespoon Thyme,
- 1 tablespoon Sage,
- 1 bay leaf,
- 700 gr cooked turkey cubed,
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts,
- 3 cups chilled puff pastry,
- 1 egg yolk.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220'C.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes stirring all the time. Remove pan from heat and place mushrooms on a plate.
- Stir the flour, salt and pepper into the pan juices to make a smooth paste. Gradually add the double cream and the sour cream stirring all the while. Stir in the Thyme, Sage and bay leaf. Return pan to the heat and cook for 10 minutes stirring all the while.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Return the mushrooms to the pan and add the turkey and the walnuts.
- Spoon the mixture into a deep pie dish and set aside.
- Roll out the dough to about ½ cm thick. Cut off a strip of dough about 1cm wide or long enough to fit the rim of the pie dish. Moisten the rim with a little water and press down the dough strip. Moisten the strip with water.
- Lift the remaining dough onto the rolling pin and lay it into the pie dish. Trim and crimp the edges to seal.
- Make a small slit in the centre of the dough and brush the top with the egg yolk.
- Place the pie in the oven and bake for 50 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 190'C and continue baking until pastry is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
("The Encyclopedia of Herbs and Spices", Pamela Westland)