The various functions of the Department were for a time spread
between the Customs Department and the Supreme Court of Cyprus.
In 1911 the Trade Marks Section was first
created at the Customs Department in Larnaca. The first Trade Mark
entered on the Register was the "BEDOUIN matches".
In 1921 the Patents' Section was created again
at the Customs in Larnaca with the registration of the first
invention, which was the SINGER sewing-machines.
On 20/6/1923 the Cyprus Mines Corporation was
registered as the first overseas company.
In 1924 the third and most important section
was created, that of Companies with the registration of the first
limited liability company, the Cyprus Popular Bank Ltd, again at
the Customs in Larnaca.
The main Department was transferred to the
Customs in Famagusta in 1925.
In 1929 the fourth section of our Department
was created, that of Partnerships and Business Names with the
registration of the first partnership CHM Theocharides & Co on
26/4/1929 and the first Business Name D.A. Angeloudes on
Much later, in 1931, the first Bankruptcy Order
was issued in Nicosia. The Bankruptcy Department was set up at the
After the enactment of the Trade Unions Law in
1941, the Trade Unions Section was added to the Department of
the Official Receiver at the Supreme Court. It was decided then
that the Registrar of Trade Unions should not belong to the Labour
Office because the services offered by the Registrar of Trade
Unions and the Labour Office were conflicting.
Thus in 1942 the “Department of the Official
Receiver and Registrar of Trade Unions” was created. In 1945 the
sections of Companies, Partnerships, Business Names, Trade Marks
and Patents were added to the Department after being transferred
from the Customs Department.
In 1960 the Department of the Official Receiver
and Registrar came under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
In 1967 new legislation on Insurance Companies was enacted and
the Insurance Companies section came under the Ministry of Finance.
Although the Insurance Companies are registered with the Registrar
of Companies under the Companies’ law they are also registered with
the Office of the Registrar of Insurance Companies who has the
responsibility of implementing the Insurance Companies Law.
Two years later the Trade Unions section became part of the
Ministry of Labour.
The functions of the Department have remained
unchanged ever since and 1990 it was renamed as the Department of
the "Registrar of Companies and Official Receiver" and its main
OBJECTIVES & FUNCTIONS fall under four Sections: a) Companies,
b) Partnerships, c) Bankruptcies, d) Trade Marks, Patents and
a) The duties of the Registrar of Companies are the registration
and control of Cyprus (including offshore companies) and overseas
companies, Partnerships and Business Names and the implementation
of the relevant Laws including the prosecution for omissions or
b) The duties of the Official Receiver are the receiving and
administration of the assets of insolvent natural and legal persons
and the distribution of the property to the creditors.
c) The duties of the Registrar of Trade Marks, Patents and
Copyright are the registration of Trade Marks and Patents and the
implementation of the relevant Legislations. The Department is also
responsible for the implementation of the Copyright Law and gives
general information and advice to interested persons. It also
follows up the international developments in the protection of
Intellectual Property in general.