Taken To Harmonise The Departmentís Legislations With The European Union
1) Amendment of the Copyright Law was voted on 7/5/93 Law 18(1) of
2) The Berne Convention for the International Protection of Literary
and Artistic Works, (Act of Paris 1971) Law 86/79.
3) Universal Copyright Convention as revised in Paris on 24 July 1971
was voted on 27/9/1990.
4) European Convention relating to Questions on Copyright Law and
Neighbouring Rights in the Framework of Transfrontier Broadcasting by
Satellite Law N. 29(III)/95.
5) The Rome Convention for the protection of Performers, Producers of
Phonograms and Broadcasting Organisations has been enacted by Ratifying
Law 14(III)/1999 and is in force as from the 15/10/1999.
6) The Geneva Convention for the Protection of Producers of Phonograms
Against Unauthorised Duplication of Their Phonograms was ratified on
30/4/92, Law N. 21(III)/92.
7) New legislation on the protection of Geographical Indications and
Appellations of Origin and Indications of Source for the protection of
Geographical Names has been proposed, together with a separate proposal
for the ratification of the Lisbon Agreement concerning the protection of
Appellations of Origin and their International Registration.
The proposed legislation has been sent to the Attorney-General for
consideration and is at its final stage.
8) The Trade Marks Law was amended on 9/11/90 to extend the protection
to service marks Law No. 206 of 1990.
9) Law which ratifies the 1994 Trademark Law Treaty N. 12(III)/96,
10) Law which ratifies the final act of the Uruguay Round L. 16(III)/95
dated 30/6/95 (TRIPS).
11) The International Convention of Paris for the Protection of
Industrial Property (Ratification) Law 63/1965 and Law 66/83.
12) There is a new Patent Law under No. 16(1) of 1998 which has been in
force since 1/4/98 and a recent amendment under No. 21(1) of 1999 which
has been in force since 19/3/99.
13) The Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of
Marks and the Protocol Relating to the Madrid Agreement Concerning the
International Registration of Marks have been translated into Greek,
approved by the Attorney General and have been sent to the interested
parties for their views.
14) Cyprus is also proceeding with the ratification of the
International Convention for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants (U.P.O.V.)
together with a new national legislation on this subject. We will proceed
with a translation in Greek and modification of the Model legislation
which was offered to us by W.I.P.O.
15) We have also prepared a new draft bill on the Protection of
Industrial Designs based on a model law prepared by WIPO which is now
pending before a special committee for its views.
16) The Convention Establishing the World Intellectual Property
Organisation (WIPO) Law 36/84.
17) European Agreement Concerning Programme Exchanges by Means of
Television Films (1958) Law 83 of 1969, 23/9/69.
18) European Agreement for the Prevention of Broadcasts Transmitted
from Stations Outside National Territories (1965) Law 36 of 1971, 9/7/71.
19) Amendment of the Companies Law has been drafted and the relevant
professional bodies were invited for their views.
20) The European Convention on Insider Trading was ratified by the
Republic on 18/6/1993, Law N. 16(III)/93.